Sunday, October 7, 2012

My 5K Adventures Begin





Saturday, October 6th...that was the day...the day I was dreading..my first 5K. I've heard to get yourself motivated, it's good to sign up for an actual 5K so you will work for it! So I did, but then I signed up for another one, even sooner than the first one. Last year and a few years ago I walked in the Palmetto Walk for Life, which raises money for Breast Cancer Awareness and Research. They added a 5K race and this year I decided to take the plunge and go for it!! So yesterday, I did it!! I ran a 5K in an actual race, with an actual race bib and chip!! :) (things I knew nothing of before this race). Don't get me wrong, I was excited but nervous (that's the reason for saying I was dreading it).


When training I hit quite a few bumps in the road and school was the biggest bump. Once school started back, I was so exhausted, running at the end of a long work day seemed impossible, but I found (of course, as I always do) when I actually did it, I began to feel better and more energized.

This past week came and I said I'm going to run 3 miles a day to prepare, Andrew was smart and talked me out of it real quick. I ran 1 mi on Monday, less than 1 mi on Tuesday (at Girls on the Run-the running mentor program with 3rd-5th grade girls at my school-which I love, by the way), and then 3 MILES on Wednesday!!! I was so stoked than I actually finished 3 miles NONSTOP, I was slow but I did it. I knew I could and I made my mind up-I will run 3 miles tonight-and I DID!! Then on Thursday I ran about 1/2 mile (walked most) with the Girls on the Run, and I took Friday night off!!

On Saturday morning, I had 2 goals:
1. Run the whole race, no matter how slow
2. Beat my own personal best (and really only 5K time) of 45:25

Unfortunately, I didn't accomplish both goals. I ran all but one block of my race, there was a super hill LOL in mile 2 and I trucked it up the hill, but then realized at the top, I'm not running, RUN ALEX is what I thought, but then my body said no, so I walked one block before finishing the rest of the race by running.

However, not necessarily intending to, I made my 2nd goal-I finished with a time of 41:28!!! I will say mile 1 felt like a breeze, mile 2 was the HARDEST and involved the death hill, and mile 3 was easier than mile 2, I think because I knew I was almost there, so the adrenaline was pushing me!! I was proud to finish!!!

My second race is coming up on Oct. 20th-the Color Me Rad race and I think my Dad is going to run with me, along with a student in my class and her mom!! How exciting and fun!! I can only go up from here, if I keep running!!

Here are some pics:



Pre-Run
                                                                 Almost there

I can do it....       

                                                                Finished!!!


Thanks for all the support and encouragement!! I appreciate it!!!

Now to keep it up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment